Why Young People Are So Important to the Church
The past few days, we’ve had young people from many different areas congregate for our first annual youth lectureship. It’s such an encouragement to see so many young people give up an entire weekend so they can get together and praise God. Sadly, not a lot of value and responsibility are placed on young people in today’s world. Society tells us that young people are irresponsible and rude. Young people dress weird, don’t know how to treat their elders, and don’t know their place in society. Is that all young people are good for? Looking at the group we had this weekend, I see hope for our future.
Growing up in the church, I always heard the older brethren say things like, “You young people are so encouraging to us older people,” “The young people are the future of this church,” and “It’s so nice to see young people who care about God.” I do think the young people are the future of the church, but I am willing to take it a step further: I think young are the present of the church.
The church needs young people who are willing to step up right now and take an active part in spreading the word of God’s kingdom. Paul told Timothy, a young preacher, to “let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity” (1 Tim. 4:12). Young people are such an important part of the Lord’s church. Young people are an example to the older members of the congregations, but also the even younger kids who are watching their every move. Paul gives some areas where young people were supposed to focus.
Be an example in…
- Word – Our speech should always be honest and loving, “speaking the truth in love” (Eph. 4:15).
- Conduct – our lives and actions should be controlled by the word of God. We should not be like the hypocrites that Paul described to Titus: “They profess that they know God; but in works they deny Him” (Titus 1:16).
- Love – We do not obey God to be applauded by men, but because we love God and His people. Our conduct and words should reflect our love.
- Spirit – Are you excited to be a child of God? Your inner enthusiasm (spirit) should reflect a love and appreciation for God.
- Faith – We need to trust God and remain faithful to Him.
- Purity – We live in an evil world. We must keep ourselves pure in mind, heart, and body. Our actions must remain pure.
Young people are such an encouragement and example to the rest of the church. Without our young people, we would not have a future. Without our young people, we would not be able to effectively spread the news for God’s Kingdom. I am so thankful for all the young people who have decided to serve God and give their lives to Him.